Our Home

Our Home

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

“GNOMESVILLE”

 

Gnomesville11

A party in Gnomesville

I need to explain why I am doing a blog on “Gnomesville” Back in Australia, (Western Australia) where I am from, there is a little town called Dardanup which  is South of Perth. Below is the story---

Gnomesville is a large collection of garden gnomes that have mysteriously been placed at at the roundabout that joins Wellington Mill Road and Ferguson Road in the Ferguson Valley of Western Australia. Nobody seems to know exactly how the quaint little hamlet of gnomes began and nobody is really sure who’s responsible for their existence.
One version goes that the roundabout was built when a group of year seven Dardanup Primary School students mentioned they thought the intersection was a traffic hazard during a mock council meeting. The council proper got wind of it, and soon the roundabout was under construction for real. Legend has it that a local Wellington Mills resident placed a single gnome at the site of the roundabout’s construction in good-humoured protest against what had become a controversial project in the town.
More gnomes soon came to join the silent protestor and soon the roundabout site had become a large gnome community complete with a sports ground that included two teams of football-playing gnomes, who switched to cricket with the change of season.
Gnomesville grew so quickly that the local Shire of Dardanup was forced to move the makeshift clay community from the middle of the roundabout to the nearby bush-land and verge as the gnomes were proving too much of a distraction for drivers approaching the roundabout. Strolling through the hamlet it’s impossible not to be impressed by the scale of the endeavour.There are over 2000 gnomes living here now.

Gnomesville23

Gnomesville

06fe96f959a4dccbfd2d84bc4a998244

Loo Gnome

104473736.fWM6D99G._MG_0151pbase

Better Gnomes and Garden

104473743.tvR1C85i._MG_0164pbase

Gnome Wasn’t built In A Day

104473747.g7Qkcx3a._MG_0177pbase

104473745.CcBdPPlg._MG_0172pbase

be2c471b32550da2b1a952301b637c74

 

I HATE GNOMES !!!

gnome1

Any way a cute story and a great tourist attraction to the area. I really don't care for gnomes that much, I think they are the stupidest looking garden ornaments ever created. They aren't even cute in the slightest. When ever my friend back in Australia (Shirley) and I chatted on the video cam via MSN Messenger she told me that she had sent me a parcel and had I received it yet ? Answer was always No..Here I was thinking she was sending me some Vegemite or Passion Fruit Pulp or some sort of Aussie food I was craving.  This continued for about 3 weeks. U got it yet ??? 

Finally yesterday we received the parcel, I ripped it open and nearly dropped the dam thing..Gee!!  Now that would have been terrible hey.  I was so anxious to see what she had sent me. ----------------------------Yes you guessed it.      A Bloody Garden Gnome. AND  She knows I hate them Smile He is holding a little lantern  and Shirley said he is shining a light so he can find his way home..Mmmm Maybe I should just re-wrap him and show him the way home Smile

Anyway…We name the UGLY little sucka “Huey” and he will now be our new travel companion. I am keeping him only because  my Cooda went to so much trouble to get him to me in one piece. Shame about that Smile

Below is a picture of HUEY !!

DSCF0258

Cheeky little shit..standing in the door way of our 5th wheel.

DSCF0257

Made himself comfortable in Danns chair

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, thanks cood, dont bother sending anymore either, or else you are of my Xmas card list hahahha

    ReplyDelete
  2. See i knew you would love him, he has pride of place. He will look after you and keep you safe on your travells. More to come as xmas pressies and birthdays ect and he will always remind you of me. I have the witch to remind me of you hahahaha love ya and miss ya besty

    ReplyDelete