Our Home

Our Home

Thursday, September 8, 2011

“OUT OF MY SEWING ROOM”

 

sewing machine

A little Bored today, finding myself with not much to do so I thought, “self”..What can I blog about. So here goes……I have to warn you there are a lot of pictures in this blog. I decided not to post them all..only a few.

About 10 years ago I discovered Machine Embroidery. My first machine was a little Brother that embroidered a 4 x 4 area. My sister in-law Joyce and I went halvies. It was a exciting time as I have always loved to sew and this was a new path I could take with my sewing. When we got the machine I would have it for a few weeks and then Joyce would steal it and it would live with her for a few weeks. I missed  our little machine when it went to visit Joyce. This definitely wasn't working !!   So you guessed it..I went and bought another one, exactly the same. Now we had one each. I never thought I would have loved a hobby like I loved this one. BUT the machine was just the down payment, the expense  started to pile up with the purchase of Threads/Fabrics/Stabilizers, Never knew there was so many types of stabilizers. We had to have them all…(just in case) We spent so much money on threads it wasn't funny, also so many different shades of the same colour and we just had to have them all as well. NEEDLES for the machine, so many different ones as well, AND then there were the DESIGNS. The list goes on and on. I had a little shop of my own in my sewing room. Between Joyce and I, we had more Embroidery items than Jo-ann’s  and Spotlite combined. Jo-ann’s is in USA and Spotlite is in Australia.

18476_231752328195_689688195_3469495_6499088_n

I made this Rag Doll and her cloths and I embroidered her face.

18476_231752343195_689688195_3469497_392956_n

The same with this doll. I think I have made about 50 of these dolls over the years.

winnie

18476_231749058195_689688195_3469480_7805092_n

A Winnie The Pooh Quilt I made for my Grandson

It wasn't to long before I realized that a 4 X 4 Embroidery area just wasn't cutting it for me any more. I wanted to be able to do BIG designs. Joyce and I started looking for MY new machine. She knew just where to go.  Straight to the Viking Husqvarna shop.This machine Did a whole 6” wide design. I was stoked..Smile This opened a whole new world for me.PLUS this one was a sewing machine as well.

cake 001

A Nappy Cake I made for a friend

DSCN0618

A Nappy Bag

DSCN0619

The other side of the bag

DSCN0664

A Merry Go Round Bag

18476_233266653195_689688195_3479972_5998538_n

 

I really got into cutting up kids old jeans and revamping them as skirts. These I have to say, were what I eventually loved to do. The front of the skirt.

18476_233266638195_689688195_3479971_2796371_n

Back

Purple N BlackSkirt

This was my personal favourite

PurpleNBalckBack

Back

PurpleNBalckCloseup

Close up of the flowers..all made with a Embroidery Machine and A little magic.

fairy-cartoon-with-wand

Well a few more years sailed by and I was happy with my Designer1 Embroidery/Sewing Machine. BUT  sadly they don't live forever. I have to admit I flogged that machine to death.

scissors

It finally died on me and I was in the market for a new one. Didn't take me to long to find my new baby.Let me introduce her to you. Her name is Topaz. She had a bigger embroidery area than my last machine which I thought was wonderful.She is also from the same bloodline as my previous machine.

My Machine1

Isn't she beautiful !!!

This is what she did for me. I made this for my girlfriends Xmas present.

croped pic

I found some old wood, rubbed her down and crackled the paint to give it that old look.  The butterfly I found from one of my grandkids hair thingy's. Stole it and glued it on. Perfecto !!!

scissors1

DSCN0621 - Copy

I made quiet a few of these little lace bags. So many sewing  hours went into this one.

dols and lace

I have one more picture I would really like to share with you all. Its my tablecloth. All the years I did Machine embroidery I only ever made my self one thing. The Table Cloth. I have to take a picture of it first. No sun today so it will be posted later. I have to mention, when we left Australia I gave all my sewing and machine embroidery collectables away to my good friend Gail Ford and her Mum. I taught Gail how to embroid while there and she went on to make some beautiful items as well. I only bought a few things back with me, they were things I cant live with out Smile I just couldn't part with them. I hope I didn't bore you to much, BUT I am very proud of what I achieved on this journey of creativity.

Sun finally came out and I was able to take a few pictures of my Tablecloth.

DSCF0263

DSCF0264

DSCF0265

DSCF0266

DSCF0267

A lot of hours went into this and I am proud to say    IT’S MINE

1 comment: