Our Home

Our Home

Thursday, September 29, 2011

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

0511-1006-1813-3633_Vintage_Car_with_a_Tear_Drop_Style_Camper_clipart_image
We left Panguitch – Utah 2 days ago, we have started our month long trek down to Mission Texas for the winter where we will be working in the Activities Dept. at a 50+ RV Resort called Mission Bell Trade Winds. We will be meeting up with some new friends that we made along the way.
After about 3 months in Panguitch it was a bit of a job getting ready to leave, we had to check everything and make sure lids were screwed on tight –ask me how I know to do this now ---make sure that everything is packed away neat and tidy and nothing is left loose.
checklist clipart
YES..a check list is necessary.
I was packing up the car and “Gympie” the local park cat wasn't being going to be left behind. He had made him self quiet at home during our stay, he knew where the treats were..Smile 
gympy
I will miss Gympie—even tho he liked to bite me
7 cats
This is how many cats were in that park

 Our first port of call was to call into St George and have lunch with our friends that we met  in Panguitch – Peter and Erika. As usual Erika put on a simple but tasty lunch. Was good to see them again. Don't know how long it will until we get to see them again. Hopefully it wont be to long. Lovely couple. After a few hours enjoying  great company and a bit of catching up we left St George and heading of to Las Vegas where we had a booking at Nellis Air Force Base for 2 nights
Wow !!!  What a change the weather was in Vegas, nothing like we had been used to all Summer, it was a tad over 100 and it felt hotter.  We gave our air con its first real work out for the summer and some thing was wrong. It kept tripping out. Not to much of a problem, just had to keep resetting the breakers. Annoying if nothing else. This went on for hours, until finally Dann had had enough, went and checked the Power Cable from the power outlet to the RV and it was blackened on the end and extremely hot..The host there lent us a adapter that converted from 50 to 30 amp. Problem fixed. Time for a new Power cord !!
We never went sight seeing in Vegas as we really couldn't be bothered fighting all that traffic. AND no pictures this trip. Been there and done that.
We packed up again yesterday morning and continued down to Flagstaff Arizona. On the way out of Vegas we spied a Camping World and we considered going in and buying a new Power Cable but it was on the other side of the freeway and it was just to hard ..so we continued on..Sad smile
A couple of hours down the road this little car with a teeny weeny little caravan (RV) flew past us, I couldn't stop laughing at it. That car was SMALL, so you can get a idea as to how small the tow behind was..so cute.
littlecar
I think its a bed on wheels !!
When we are driving I always have my laptop in the truck with me  —ALWAYS--  We have this neat little gadget which converts 12 volts to 110 volts.  So I never go flat. I love that little thing. Danns son in law gave it to him and when I realized what it did, i took it under my wing and gave it a good home.
We have a MIFI Card, which lets me connect to the internet while traveling as well. As long as we have phone coverage which I must say isn't to bad. Only a few place I couldn't get a signal. About 2 hours out of Vegas I was itchin to get back into my Facebook and play my games, Very Important business I have to keep on top of. Smile  After I set up my computer on my lap, I noticed that the little light on the MIFI was BLUE, its always Green. Very strange I remember thinking. I went to connect and up pops a msg telling me that if I continue on its going to cost a extra $20 . I packed the computer up and sat on my hands for the rest of the trip.
laptop
You get the Picture

The trip to Flagstaff took us about 4 1/2 hours, not to bad. We went from 100 plus degrees to about 65 in 5 hours. Back to using our heater again. Amazing temperature changes you experience while travelling around. Depends how high you climb. Vegas is about 2,030 feet above sea level, here in Flagstaff we are at around 7,000 feet above sea level, so you can see why its much cooler. I really like this Park---its called Woody Mountain Campground, its nestled in amongst beautiful tall cool pine trees that are like little sky scrapers. Below is a picture I took this morning as we were leaving for the day of our home amongst the pine trees.
DSCF0279
DSCF0281
I have to tell you a funny story about what happened to us last night. after unhooking and setting up, we had dinner and were settling in for the evening. All of a sudden there was a change in the  power to the RV. I thought there was no power to the Outlets and only had power to the lights. I don't know why I thought this, I suppose its because we haven't dried camped for a while and got to use to city power. Anyway..Dann says, I think we should have stoped and bought that new power cable, I think its finally died. You have to remember its Saturday Night too, and raining. Dann checked the circuit breakers and they all look good. Went out side to see if the power cable had come loose, all good.As its only 7.30pm, to early to go to bed, we decided to jump in the truck and head into town to see if we could find a Power cord. We finally find our way out of the park, so dark out in the bush. We head out onto the highway and I say to Dann, why is everyone's headlights so bloody bright, he says I think its because of the water on the road, its reflecting back, I say ohhhhhh ok.   We fly through a set of Traffic lights that are not working and its then  and only then that Dann says, The Bloody Powers out !!
We start to look around and then we see that there's no lights on any where. So you guessed it, we turned around and headed back home. All the time we are thinking that our power cord had finally died. Its hard to tell out in these bush type camp ground if the powers out because everyone's batteries kick in and take over, so nothing really changes.
Tomorrow we head out on  the road again to Albuquerque.
We decided to by pass Albuquerque, they we having the annual International Hot Air Balloon festival, don't get me wrong..I really did want to see them.  Camp host where were were told us we wouldn't find a RV site, its all been booked out for months.  Below is a couple of pictures I found on the internet of this event.I think you can see why we didn't go.
hotairballon
1104rv-01_ albuquerque-balloon-fiesta-new-mexico hot_air_balloons
Maybe another time..so close to Sad smile
We arrived in El Paso a few days ago. I was very disappointed with this place. I really don't think much has changed here since Marty Robbins rode in on his horse looking for Ferlina all them years ago. Will be glad to leave. BUT they do have a HUGE  PX Shopping facility on the US Army Base here. Biggest one I seen yet, and very nice to I might add. We leave here soon and are heading of to San Antonio Texas where we will be meeting up with some friends we met in South Dakota. Then after a few days we will be heading down to the bottom of Texas to Mission Bell RV Resort which will be our home for the next 6 months. So excited, after all this time of lazing around and playing games on Facebook i will finally have a purpose.  Work and FUN !!!
volenteer

No comments:

Post a Comment